Lentils are totally my favourite legume. They don’t require soaking ahead of time, they cook up in a flash, and they are so versatile. I’ve tried them many ways, and enjoyed almost all of them.
Oh, and of course, they are uber-frugal! I respect the Paleo movement but my grocery budget just will not let me live without legumes, and honestly – I’m ok with that.
I started out with making up a lentils recipe inspired by my taco soup recipe, and it ended up tasting like an awesome vegetarian* version of chili! Unexpected, but hey – I’m not complaining. Honey said these chili cheese lentils are his favourite lentil recipe to date, and that’s saying something!
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
(Also, check out my recipe for Sweet & Sour Lentils!)
* They would be vegetarian if you used veggie broth instead of chicken.
Chili Cheese Lentils
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- 2 cups Small green lentils
- 2 Medium-sized onions
- ¼ cup Butter
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 teaspoons Cumin
- 4 teaspoons Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 can Diced tomatoes
- 1 can Green chilies (the small cans, probably about half a cup or so?)
- 2 cups Shredded extra-old cheese
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large pot, add lentils, and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- While lentils are cooking, dice two onions and slowly saute them in ¼ cup of butter.
- When the liquid is below the lentils, add the spices and tomatoes and green chilies. Also add the sauteed onions, and any extra butter drippings. (This would be a good point to steam some rice and prep your veggie sides.)
- Simmer together to meld the flavours. When they are all nice and cozy together, stir in one cup of shredded cheese. Use the rest of the cheese for garnish at the table.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups (Paleo Option, Naturally-Sweetened) - February 18, 2019
- 2018 In Review + 2019 Intentions - January 21, 2019
- 100+ Free Printables for Home & Health (Calendars, Habit Trackers, Wall Art and more!) - January 7, 2019