I have a serious love affair with all things Tex-Mex. I mean sure, yes, I’m pretty free with my love and devotion when it comes to my favorite foods. I have declared my undying affection for many an excellent recipe. For example, this Browned Butter Fudge, this Perfect Chili Recipe, and my Aunt Beulah’s Saucy Chicken recipe.
Dangit, now I’m hungry. The perils of food blogging.
But this soup? It should win some awards, people. For things like turning soup-haters into lovers, for being magically man-pleasing (why do so many men complain about soup?!), and for being all around AMAZING.
This soup rocks my family’s socks right off. Every last one of us eat it without complaint (no small miracle, I assure you), and it actually is hearty enough to fill us up.
Southwest Taco Soup
- ¼ cup of butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. cumin
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 sweet peppers, diced (yellow, red, or orange)
- 2 lbs. ground beef or ground pork
- 8-10 cups of bone broth (chicken or beef)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of black beans
- Melt butter in large stock pot.
- Saute onions until softened.
- Add garlic and diced peppers, and stir.
- Add salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano, stir.
- Add ¼ cup of the broth, if necessary.
- Add the meat, stir until it is broken up and browned through.
- Pour in remainder of broth and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes and black beans.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, if desired. Serve with suggested toppings, and enjoy!
Fresh diced cilantro
Crumbled organic corn chips
(Reposted from the 2012 archives by popular demand. This is a Red+Honey family classic recipe.)
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Welcome to the Brand New R&H Site! (Don’t Miss This Giveaway!) - October 6, 2017
- Natural Remedies for Pregnancy Heartburn (Including My Unexpected Favourite!) - September 8, 2017
- 19 Easy (Real Food) Instant Pot Recipes for Hesitant Beginners - July 26, 2017