I have a serious love affair with all things Tex-Mex. I mean sure, yes, I’m pretty free with my love and devotion when it comes to my favorite foods. I have declared my undying affection for many an excellent recipe. For example, this Browned Butter Fudge, this Perfect Chili Recipe, and my Aunt Beulah’s Saucy Chicken recipe.
Dangit, now I’m hungry. The perils of food blogging.
But this soup? It should win some awards, people. For things like turning soup-haters into lovers, for being magically man-pleasing (why do so many men complain about soup?!), and for being all around AMAZING.
This soup rocks my family’s socks right off. Every last one of us eat it without complaint (no small miracle, I assure you), and it actually is hearty enough to fill us up.
Southwest Taco Soup
Southwest Taco Soup
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 2 onions chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. cumin
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 sweet peppers diced (yellow, red, or orange)
- 2 lbs. ground beef or ground pork
- 8-10 cups of bone broth chicken or beef
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of black beans
- Melt butter in large stock pot.
- Saute onions until softened.
- Add garlic and diced peppers, and stir.
- Add salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano, stir.
- Add 1/4 cup of the broth, if necessary.
- Add the meat, stir until it is broken up and browned through.
- Pour in remainder of broth and stir.
- Add diced tomatoes and black beans.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, if desired. Serve with suggested toppings, and enjoy!
- Fresh diced cilantro
- Diced avocado
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Crumbled organic corn chips
(Reposted from the 2012 archives by popular demand. This is a Red+Honey family classic recipe.)
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Why I Stopped Using Coconut Oil as a Skin Moisturizer - May 16, 2019
- Sausage and Spinach Frittata Recipe (Keto, Gluten-Free) - May 3, 2019
- Sweet And Sour Lentils (Gluten-Free, Naturally-Sweetened) - April 18, 2019