(Heya Peeps! Writing a breakfast cookbook this fall really knocked the wind out of my sails in cooking and creating in the kitchen. After that intense couple of months I needed a little break, so I haven’t posted a new recipe here at R&H since publishing the book. This is the first one, and I have a couple more up my sleeve for this week and next. I hope you’ll share and give it some lovin’! Thanks – you guys are the best!)
This recipe is inspired by my awesome friend, Stacy, of Stacy Makes Cents. I was lucky enough to be a tester for her slow cooker ebook a while ago (Crock On <– Yep, I took the time to sign up as an affiliate because DANG the recipe I tested was mind-blowing deliciousness, and I’m pretty convinced everyone on the planet should try it).
The recipe in the book that I tested is the Cheesy Sausage Potatoes, and it was a beautiful, beautiful thing. That was the first time I had ever used green chilies. They come in a can, and I have no idea what the fresh version would be. What do they even look like? I love me some Mexican food, but I’m not exactly an expert.
Anyway, for this recipe I took a couple of the same ingredients (especially those addictive little green chilies – *not* at all spicy, in case you’re wondering) and whipped up this quick stove top ground beef dish.
Oh man, I’m hungry just staring at that photo and typing this out. It was delish. A winner with Chris, too. It was really fast to whip up – if you have ground beef thawed it’s easily 20 minutes or less. AND, of course, it’s frugal (a must around here, especially since hubs quit his job last month).
Try it for a busy weeknight dinner, or lunch, or whenever. Easily doubles and makes GREAT leftovers the next day!
(If you like this recipe, check out my recipe for Chili Cheese Lentils: Frugal & Healthy 30-Minute Dinner!)
Creamy Green Chili Beef
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon real sea salt
- 1 can diced green chilies small
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat cast-iron pan with butter.
- Saute onions.
- Add ground beef to brown.
- When ground beef is mostly cooked but still a bit pink, add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese).
- Stir well to combine.
- Simmer, stirring often, until ground beef is fully cooked. Stir in half of the cheese.
- Serve and garnish with remaining cheese.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- An Honest Review of Norwex Cleaning Supplies: Too Good to be True? - June 29, 2019
- Homemade Lemonade Sweetened with Honey (Paleo, Keto-Friendly) - June 21, 2019
- Best Gift Ideas for Dads (for Health-Conscious Men) - June 11, 2019