So I’ve been a little crazy with the Instant Pot recipes lately, I know. I’m seriously obsessed – like any self-respecting cook-from-scratch, busy, WAHM oughta be. That contraption is the best thing that has happened to me since I discovered my beautiful, darling cast-iron frying pans, and now it has given me instant pot shredded BBQ chicken. #thankyoujesus
There’s a method to my madness, though.
This July I’m doing a 4-week Instant Pot Meal Planning Challenge, and the last few months have been spent getting intimately acquainted with my Instant Pot so that I could turn around and inspire you to do the same. (It’s going to be an awesome month of challenging ourselves to use our Instant Pots more often, so stay tuned for more details on how to join the fun!)
Meanwhile, this instant pot shredded BBQ chicken is over here just chilling in the repertoire of awesomeness, waiting to make its way onto your plate so it can dazzle you with its flavour and ease. It’s the perfect summertime staple, too, because you can serve it on cold biscuits, buns, or even nachos, with a side of veggies and/or salad.
And then you can high five yourself because that’s always a cool-kid thing to do. I should know. *eye roll*
It may seem like a sorta long list of ingredients, but it really only takes a few minutes to throw together. Then, once the sauce is in, the instant pot does all of the real work.
Besides, this is BBQ sauce from scratch, folks. None of that monkey business with the “3-ingredient recipes” that include a bottle of store-bought BBQ sauce. Those have like twenty-five hundred ingredients (many unrecognizable) in them, which really puts a damper on the whole “homemade” thing. Just take five minutes and make it yourself – it tastes better anyway.
If you make it and snap a pic, be sure to tag me on instagram with @redandhoney and #redandhoneyrecipes so I can see the fruits of your labour!
Instant Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken
This paleo shredded BBQ chicken cooks up quickly in the instant pot without sacrificing the tenderness and depth of flavour.
- 8-10 frozen chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or your favourite healthy fat
- 1/2 red onion quartered
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce or strained tomatoes
- 4-5 fresh garlic cloves
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika regular paprika works fine, but will lack the smoky BBQ flavour
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp real salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
1. Add chicken breasts to the instant pot
2. Combine all other ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth to make BBQ sauce
3. Pour sauce over chicken and stir to coat evenly
4. Set instant pot to 40 minutes on manual mode and allow for NPR
5. Shred chicken with a fork, and serve
I'm Beth. I created Red & Honey because I'm obsessed with the wild art of wellness.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Natural Remedies for Pregnancy Heartburn (Including My Unexpected Favourite!) - September 8, 2017
- 19 Easy (Real Food) Instant Pot Recipes for Hesitant Beginners - July 26, 2017
- How to Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot - July 17, 2017