This paleo pumpkin spice mug cake is the perfect treat that whips up in five minutes without any guilt at all!
Post by contributor Alexandra Maul of Made to Glow
I love pancakes. I love pumpkin pancakes (like these Flourless Pumpkin Pancakes), but sometimes it’s fun to switch it up. A paleo pumpkin spice mug cake is the perfect single-serving, quick-cooking, little
Recently, I’ve had some stomach issues (SIBO and the like), and have been on a healing diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
Similar to Paleo or the Whole30 diets, it’s pretty restrictive – no grains, dairy, sugar, soy, legumes, or starch, plus very limited nuts/seeds – and thought to be easy on your digestion to let your gastrointestinal lining heal. At the same time, I’ve had business travel every week this month, so I have less time in the kitchen…this meant I definitely had to get more creative with my meals.
(Topped with Coconut Butter, Chopped Apple, and Loads of Cinnamon.)
Although I’ve been totally gluten-free and dairy-free (and mostly sugar-free) for the past 8 years (read about my story here), I have to admit I was a little freaked at first.
(Topped with Coconut Butter, Chopped Fresh Figs, and Cinnamon.)
Well, it was coconut flour to the rescue! I’ve been using it for awhile (my most recent coconut flour fave: Blueberry Mini Muffins with Lemon Coconut Frosting), and love that it’s high in fiber and healthy fats, is naturally gluten- and grain-free, and is subtly sweet, so you don’t have to add a ton of sweeteners.
Wondering what a mug cake actually is? Well, it’s a single-serving pancake or cake that you microwave in a mug or ramekin. And this one’s quick, easy, and uses just a handful of ingredients plus some great seasonal spices.
High in fiber and good-for-you nutrients, this paleo pumpkin spice mug cake is a solid breakfast to fill you up and get you on your way – with no added sugar or nasty fake stuff. Side note: also terrific as a dessert 😉
Topping suggestions are endless… customize it to your liking. My favorite is coconut butter, berries, and cinnamon. I made this recipe with a group of friends who were visiting recently, and loved how everyone liked it a different way – plain with cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup and butter, a layer of chocolate frosting, or a dollop of chocolate mousse. Or, try it with a vanilla coconut whipped cream. Mmmm.
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake Recipe
- 1 TB coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 2 TB of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 of a very spotted banana
- 1 tsp of coconut oil as a liquid (melt your coconut oil in the microwave if needed to get a liquid)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2-3 grinds of pink salt about 1/8 tsp
- Mash the 1/2 banana into a large mug or ramekin until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and make sure to stir well so you don't have any flour clumps. If easier, mix the batter in a small bowl and pour into your mug or ramekin.
- Microwave 3 1/2 minutes, or until the batter has formed into a dome shape with a soft crust on top (see pictures above).
- If eating in a ramekin, layer on your favorite toppings and enjoy! If you using a mug, you can enjoy it in there, or I like to turn the mug upside down into a bowl, pop out the cake, cut in half, then top with goodies (see pictures above).
About the Author:
Alexandra Maul, MPH is a health educator and public health professional. After experiencing debilitating chronic health issues and learning how to heal, she created Made to Glow, a healthy living guide that educates and inspires others around healthy eating, self-care practices, and non-toxic living. Alex is passionate about empowering others to feel their best, and loves to share kitchen tips, naturally gluten-free and dairy-free recipes, relaxation and fitness suggestions, and ways to live lean, clean, and green. Connect with Alex on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups (Paleo Option, Naturally-Sweetened) - February 18, 2019
- 2018 In Review + 2019 Intentions - January 21, 2019
- 100+ Free Printables for Home & Health (Calendars, Habit Trackers, Wall Art and more!) - January 7, 2019