“I love yellow soup!” declares the three-and-a-half-year-old with passion. “It’s my favourite ever soup, Mommy!”
(He hates squash. I love irony.)
So, here’s the confession: this is a recipe that I made up completely. Many of my recipes have actually been modified and melded from several other recipes (to the point where I am comfortable calling them my own), but with this one I really just made it up out of nowhere one day in the kitchen. We were on the GAPS Diet at the time, and it is actually GAPS legal if you leave out the cream cheese. The end result? Thick and creamy with enough flavour to keep you satisfied until you’re scraping the bowl out and hoping for seconds. It’s exactly what I imagine butternut squash soup to be.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 15 cups homemade chicken stock mine was quite concentrated this time so I used half water for frugality's sake
- 3-4 whole butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon real sea salt be forewarned: if you try and sub in store-bought broth or bouillon, then this much salt will be way too much, but if you're using homemade broth, the salt is necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 block of cream cheese
- Combine all ingredients except honey and cream cheese on the stove top in large stock pot. Simmer until all ingredients are cooked through.
- 10 minutes before serving, add honey and cream cheese, stir until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Use an immersion blender to blend completely until thick and creamy.
- Serve with sour cream and crumbled organic corn chips to garnish. You can totally skip the corn chips, but if you're anything like me, you need a little texture variation in your meal. I love it with a simple green salad on the side as well.
Do you like butternut squash soup? Ever tried it? As I always say (regarding food!): Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it, you just might find a new favourite!
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Why I Stopped Using Coconut Oil as a Skin Moisturizer - May 16, 2019
- Sausage and Spinach Frittata Recipe (Keto, Gluten-Free) - May 3, 2019
- Sweet And Sour Lentils (Gluten-Free, Naturally-Sweetened) - April 18, 2019