I ordered stewing beef from the ranch a while back, and in my freezer it sat. Inspirationless.
Until one cool summer day (because yes, I live in the Canadian Prairies, and sometimes it’s cold in July. Like sweaters and jeans cold. For real…) a craving for beef stew popped into my head. Off I went to google a recipe to play with, and went from there. It started simmering, and as the afternoon beat on, the aroma wafting around the kitchen was completely making me salivate.
It was delicious. Like, ridiculously yummy. Like eat-two-bowlfuls-and-hope-hubby-forgets-to-take-the-leftovers-to-school-for-lunch kinda good. The kids gobbled it up, even the little one who thinks that breastmilk is pretty much the perfect food ever and why would you ever want anything else? 🙂
So, without further ado… here’s the recipe for you all to enjoy. Do come back and let me know if you enjoyed it after you finish licking the bowl 🙂
Amazing Irish Beef Stew
- 1/3 c. butter
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into chunks
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 c. homemade bone broth I used chicken broth because that's what I had on hand, but the logical choice would be beef broth
- 1/8 c. tomato paste
- 1-2 T. honey I didn't measure, I just took a large spoonful out of the honey bucket
- 1 T. dried thyme
- 1.5 T. worcestershire sauce I buy a gluten-free version at my local health store
- 2-3 bay leaves depending on their size
- 1/4 c. butter
- 5 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 2 small or 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1/4 c. rice flour or any other thickener and water
- Melt 1/3 c. butter in a large stock pot. Brown stewing beef on all sides. Add garlic, saute for 2 minutes. Add half of your bone broth, along with honey, tomato paste, thyme, worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Simmer on low, mostly covered.
- While the above is simmering, melt 1/4 c. butter in a frying pan (cast-iron is best if you have one), and saute onions, carrots, and potatoes for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the bone broth, and simmer for 20 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Add veggies concoction to the beef mixture. Stir together. Keep simmering.
- In an air-tight container (a mason jar works well), shake rice flour and 1 c. water, until dissolved completely. Add to stew, stir, keep at a bubbling simmer until thickened, then turn off heat, and serve.
- For cooking in the Instant Pot:
- Use the IP's sauté function to brown the stewing beef on all sides (You don't need to cook it though, just sear it to seal in the juices).
- Remove to a bowl, and sauté potatoes, carrots, and onions for five minutes.
- Add meat back in, along with all other ingredients, minus the rice flour.
- Set Instant Pot on manual for 25 minutes, and allow to release pressure naturally.
- When you open the lid, press sauté button, add rice flour (pre-shaken into water to prevent lumps - I use a sealed mason jar) to stew, and simmer until stew is thickened.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Why I Stopped Using Coconut Oil as a Skin Moisturizer - May 16, 2019
- Sausage and Spinach Frittata Recipe (Keto, Gluten-Free) - May 3, 2019
- Sweet And Sour Lentils (Gluten-Free, Naturally-Sweetened) - April 18, 2019