Gingerbread Latte [Real Food Holiday Treats Week 2013]

RealFoodHolidayTreats

I’ve been scheming and planning this week for a loooooong time in my head and in my kitchen, and now I’m excited to share these recipes with you this week. I don’t know about you, but for me – the holidays are the time I am most likely to stray far, far away from my real food ideals. Treats are such a prominent part of the season. Everywhere you go, people expect you to indulge.

I don’t mind indulging sometimes with others – white flour, white sugar, whatever the case may be. I have a few things I avoid at all costs – like MSG because it gives me migraines and makes me feel crazy weird – but for the most part, I try to abide by the 80-20 rule (If 80% of my diet is excellent, then I can relax on the remaining 20%).

You may not be able to control what Great Aunt Freda puts into her lemon chiffon pie (and you may not even want to), but you *can* control what you bake with at home. There are SO many options out there for decadent treats made with whole, unrefined ingredients that will still blow your mind and delight your tastebuds. You don’t have to feel like you’re missing out even if you do choose to decline some or all of the unhealthy treats parading by.

So. This week I’m sharing a few recipes that are totally treat-worthy that still taste AMAZING. These are recipes you could serve to your not-so-real-foodie family and friends, and they’d probably not even bat an eye!

Today’s treat comes to you courtesy of my secret love for fancy, gussied-up coffee. This gingerbread latte tastes so ridiculously indulgent, you’ll swear it has to be bad for you, but made with natural sweeteners and regular ol’ real food ingredients – you can enjoy it guilt-free!

Gingerbread Latte

Gingerbread Latte

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Demerara Sugar (or Unrefined Cane Sugar)
  • 1 1/4 cup Water
  • 1 tablespoon Molasses
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 pinch Nutmeg

Directions

Step 1 Stir water in with the coconut palm sugar and the demerara (or cane sugar) in a small pot on the stovetop. Turn heat on to medium.
Step 2 Add other ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for around 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Step 3 Remove from heat and store in the fridge in a sealed container.

Note

To make your latte:

Place desired amount of gingerbread syrup (I recommend 1/4 cup if you like it as sweet as Starbucks, or less if you like it less sweet) in a mug.

Add 1-2 shots of espresso. I've been using the Starbucks Holiday Blend of espresso, freshly ground at home, and it pairs beautifully. A regular espresso would be great too.

Add steamed milk, and top with real whipped cream (whipping cream plus a tablespoon of desired natural sweetener in a bowl + beat with a whisk or electric beaters).

Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, and indulge.

original top image credit
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

  1. says

    You could possibly certainly see your skills while in the art you write. The world desires for far more enthusiastic copy writers just like you who are not worried to cover where did they think. Constantly chase the center.

  2. says

    Many thanks any other wonderful post. The location in addition can any individual wardrobe type of details in this an excellent strategy connected with producing? I’ve a demonstration future week, for at the search for such information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>