These gluten-free scones will brighten your day right up with their sunshiney lemon burst and their slightly sweet taste. They’re a simple, lightly-sweetened treat, and a crowd-favorite!
[Hello friends! Long time, no blog. If you follow me on social media you know that I broke both of my wrists about a month ago. I’m well on my way to healing, thankfully, but I have a couple of guest posts to share with you over the next few weeks as I sloooowly ease my way back into blogging, all written by people with two working arms. 😉 Today’s post is from Elise at The Frugal Farm Wife. These gluten-free scones look SO delish, and I’m super excited to try her recipe. Yum! Now over to Elise…]
I love making gluten-free scones for the kids.
They’re essentially biscuits, which means they’re easy to make, but with some added flavor, which makes them a treat. On top of that, they’re lightly sweetened, which means nobody asks for jam or honey like they do with biscuits, and we end up taking in less sugar overall.
So I guess you could say they’re a win for everybody!
Gluten-Free Scones: Our Favorite Recipe
This particular gluten-free scones recipe is one of my favorites. You get that little crunch of poppy seeds with the pungent aroma of lemon zest with every bite.
Top it off with a super simple, sweet-tart lemon glaze, and you have perfection that your kids and husband will adore you for.
As a mom of small children, I’m not always out of bed early, but on days when I am, one of my favorite things is doing a little baking – alone, in a quiet house.
It’s cathartic, energizing, and totally worth getting out of bed for. And when the kids wake up to fresh lemon poppyseed scones on the table, they get in a better mood too.
But honestly, what I love most about these scones today is their bright, fresh flavor, counteracting the low, dark clouds and cold on this late winter day. It’s like spring in here with these lemon-poppyseed gluten-free scones, no matter how much the weather won’t cooperate.
That early morning baking sets the mood for the whole day, and on days like today, setting that sunny mood is important. As they say, food feeds the soul as much as it feeds the body, and good food makes a “just okay” day into great day.
Gluten-Free Lemon-Poppyseed Scones
For the Scones
- 2 cups high-quality gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp guar or xanthan gum omit if your flour blend includes it already
- zest from one organic lemon
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
For the Glaze
- 3 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º.2. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl or food processor.3. Cut butter into chunks, and add to flour mixture. Pulse food processor or cut together with pastry blender until mixture resembles bread crumbs.4. Stir in poppyseeds.5. Add beaten egg, milk, and lemon juice, and stir until mixture is well combined and forms a ball of dough.6. Turn dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet, and pat down into a 3/4 inch thick circle. Score circle with a knife to make wedges, and then cut through.7. Bake for 25-30 minutes.8. While scones are baking, combine lemon juice and powdered sugar to make the glaze.9. Remove scones from oven when they've begun to brown and the center is done. You may need to re-cut the wedges which have probably baked back together somewhat.10. Pour glaze over scones, brushing it on until everything is evenly coated. Some of your glaze will drip down into the cut seams and soak in a bit. This is good!11. Serve while warm, and enjoy!
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups (Paleo Option, Naturally-Sweetened) - February 18, 2019
- 2018 In Review + 2019 Intentions - January 21, 2019
- 100+ Free Printables for Home & Health (Calendars, Habit Trackers, Wall Art and more!) - January 7, 2019