Post by contributor Alexandra Maul
This festive detox smoothie is a great way to sneak your greens in while enjoying some of the season’s best flavors. Cranberry and orange are a match made in heaven – it’s one of my favorite combinations. I add a sprinkle of cinnamon to take it over the top!
I used an old Cranberry Orange Smoothie recipe that I posted a couple of years ago as my foundation. I wanted to amp up the flavors and also add some more nutrition because let’s face it, super smoothies (those packed with extra goodies like seeds and nuts) have more staying power. I added some cashews and hemp seeds, orange zest, a bit more sweetness with the medjool dates, and coconut water.
The cashews and hemp seeds add some fantastic healthy fats and protein (and make it super thick), and the orange zest and cinnamon provide a fun holiday touch.
Cranberries are great for liver detoxing, which is perfect for this time of year with all of the indulging in treats!
If you’re a green smoothie newbie, try just one small handful of spinach – it’s very mild, I promise! You can’t taste the spinach. For the more adventurous, try baby kale or “power greens” (a mix of chard, kale, and spinach). For more smoothie tips and tricks, check out my Smoothie 101 Guide and 8 Tips for Making the Best Smoothies.
I like my smoothies frosty cold, but because there is not a lot of frozen fruit in this smoothie recipe, you may want to let it chill in the fridge for a bit before drinking. Up to you!
And, if you’re not into using medjool dates or can’t find them, try using frozen pineapple. It will add a tropical twist to the mix. If you try it, leave a comment and let us know how it goes with pineapple.
- ½ cup of unsweetened coconut water
- ½ - ¾ cup of cold water
- ½ blender of fresh spinach (about 3 small handfuls)
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ cup of raw cashews
- ½ cup of fresh cranberries
- 2 TB of hemp hearts
- The zest of ½ an orange (lightly zest the skin of about ½ an orange)
- 1 peeled orange, broken into small pieces (use the orange you zested)
- 4-5 medjool dates, depending on sweetness preference
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Drink immediately or store in glass jars in the fridge for up to 2 days. When you're ready to drink it, simply shake up the jar.
1. Chill it in the fridge before drinking; or
2. Use less medjool dates and add frozen pineapple chunks to taste.
- Makes about 1000 ML or about 2- 3 servings.
When we feel whole, balanced, and healthy, we radiate from the inside out. We are all made to glow!
Latest posts by Alexandra Maul (see all)
- 8 Things I Learned from the First Half of My Pregnancy - June 13, 2016
- 20 Ways to Ditch Toxic Chemicals From Your Life - May 2, 2016
- 15 Easy Clean-Eating Snacks (Paleo, Real Food) - March 16, 2016