By contributor Alexandra Maul of Made of Glow
So, y’all may know by now that I love hot breakfasts (remember this Pumpkin Mug Cake I shared last year?) and mug cakes and pancakes are my breakfast of choice. But the last few months have been the dog days of summer, friends, and it has been H.O.T.
It’s been 90+ degrees in my neck of the woods recently (Princeton, NJ), and I’m not in the mood to be around hot stoves or, really, spend any prolonged time in the kitchen. And I’m in the middle of a move (we bought our first house!), so most of my kitchen is in boxes…
…Which is why this no-cook, quick & easy, refreshing delight of a breakfast bowl is perfect!
Coconut, strawberry, and banana are the stars in this one and they shine! What a yummy summer combo.
This dish is full of real-food nutrition. Clean eating at it’s finest – using only whole foods, unless you’d like to make it even quicker and use store-bought yogurt. Up to you!
And, just like all of my other recipes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free and I encourage you to do whatever works best for you.
- Want to make your own yogurt? See below.
- Not dairy-free? Use your favorite plain, coconut, or vanilla-flavored yogurt. Try adding a drop or two of coconut extract.
- Nut-free? Omit the drizzle or use a seed butter (if you can tolerate it).
- Want more staying power? How about mixing this power bowl with oatmeal or quinoa, or using it as a topping for pancakes!
I love making my own coconut yogurt because it lets me control the ingredients… I want only minimal sugar and no fake stuff. This fits the bill AND adds a healthy dose of fat and fiber. And, I don’t worry about mixing in any probiotics like normal yogurt, so it’s a super quick blend in my Vitamix and voila!
However, coconut meat can be expensive… I buy the frozen coconut meat from Whole Foods to make it easier, and it definitely costs a pretty penny, but it’s worth it to me to be able to quickly add more variety into my current, restrictive healing diet. You could also use fresh coconut meat from a young thai coconut.
So here’s how I like to do it:
Coconut Banana-Berry Breakfast Power Bowl
- coconut yogurt
- sliced strawberries
- sliced banana
- hemp seeds
- shredded, unsweetened coconut
- cacao nibs
- chopped walnuts
- peanut, almond, cashew or other nut/seed butter
- Make your coconut yogurt (or use your yogurt of choice)
- Put a big scoop in a bowl and top with the good stuff. (I recommend sliced strawberries & sliced banana).
- Add a small handful of: hemp seeds, shredded, unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs, chopped walnuts, and a drizzle of peanut, almond, cashew or your favorite nut/seed butter
*To make your coconut yogurt I use this recipe for the “Super Thick Coconut Yogurt” from Oh She Glows, without the probiotics or lemon juice, and add stevia and vanilla extract to taste.
What do you eat for breakfast during the hot days of summer?
When we feel whole, balanced, and healthy, we radiate from the inside out. We are all made to glow!
Latest posts by Alexandra Maul (see all)
- 8 Things I Learned from the First Half of My Pregnancy - June 13, 2016
- 20 Ways to Ditch Toxic Chemicals From Your Life - May 2, 2016
- 15 Easy Clean-Eating Snacks (Paleo, Real Food) - March 16, 2016