Guest post by Naomi of Almost Bananas
Even though sweet potatoes might seem like the base of a winter dessert, this pie is perfect for spring and summer. While the sweet potatoes are baked to make the puree, the pie itself is no-bake so there’s no need for additional heat.
The strawberry gelee on top lightens up the intense chocolate flavour and adds a touch of freshness.
Inspired by this chocolate pudding, a little gelatin adds structure to the filling so that it can be cut while still retaining it’s light and smooth pudding texture. Gelatin is all kinds of good for you, including being anti-inflammatory, gut healing, and skin and hair beautifying.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of anti-oxidants, vitamin A, and manganese, as well as helping regulate blood sugar. Adding to goodness of sweet potaotes and gelatin, this pie has no gluten, grains, dairy, or refined sugar, so there’s no reason not to indulge in this decadent treat.
Actually, it’s practically a superfood. Now you need to make it, for the all the health benefits.
Have you ever used gelatin in the kitchen?
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie with Strawberry Gelee
- ½ cup dates
- 2 cups walnuts preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 4 sweet potatoes baked and peeled
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon unrefined salt
- ¼ cup ghee could sub coconut oil or butter
- 7 tablespoons honey just short of ½ cup
- ¼ cup cold water or cold coffee, for extra intensity
- 2 tablespoons gelatin powder
- 250 g strawberries approximately 14 medium, or 9 oz.
- sweetener of choice to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
- Blend dates in food processor until the dates are in small pieces.
- Add nuts and process until mixed.
- Distribute clumps of dough around a pie plate, then use your hands to flatten and spread evenly on the bottom and up the sides.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water and let sit.
- Blend sweet potatoes, cocoa powder, and salt in a food processor or blender.
- Melt ghee and honey in a small pot (double boiler is ideal).
- Add the water/gelatin mix and stir until dissolved and immediately take it off heat. Don't let it boil or the gelatin won't set.
- Pour the warm liquid into the cocoa mixture as the machine is running.
- Process until well mixed, pour into crust.
- Sprinkle gelatin in water.
- Puree strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add sweetener until desired sweetness is achieved (this will depend on the sweetness of your strawberries. I used about 1 Tbsp of honey)
- Warm water/gelatin in double boiler until dissolved, immediately add to strawberry puree while machine is running.
- Pour gelee mixture on top of semi-set chocolate filling.
- Chill the pie until set, about 5 hrs in the fridge.
- Cut and to serve to enjoy a slice of silky smooth goodness!
I’m Naomi, originally from Canada but, after a few years in the US, am now a wife to Michal and mom to four in Slovakia. You’ll also find photos of life in this country. I love the mountains, especially the alpine, and things natural and handmade. I search for beauty in every environment and circumstance around me.
You can connect with Naomi at her blog, Almost Bananas, which is a is a little piece of the internet devoted to food using ‘real food’ ingredients. It’s a place for you to find inspiration for your palate, whether you are a novice cook or a seasoned chef. Recipes are simple and range from traditional favourites to original ideas.
Wow, this looks really good! I never would thought that strawberry could be paired with sweet potato! This is very possibly a pie that my oldest would eat since it combines her two favorite foods, and is allergen friendly for us. And making everything in the food processor makes it very easy; thank you for sharing, can’t wait to try this one.
I’m so glad it’s allergen friendly for you. It really is very easy, and who doesn’t want easy and delicious? I hope you enjoy!