Mmm, homemade bone broth. I think it’s appropriate that I have some chicken bone broth simmering away on my stove as I type. It smells like home, you know?
(Read last week’s article: The Health Benefits of Bone Broth: Is It Worth the Hype?)
The wafting scent is making me hungry, despite the weather slowly ebbing into shorts and tank top territory by late morning today. This is always the time of year that I stop making my weekly pot of soup in favour of entire dinners on the BBQ, eaten on the back deck. Burgers, sausages, potatoes in foil, grilled sweet peppers, mushrooms, and onions… oh lawd a’ mercy. Delish!
But bone broth, my dear old friend, is always so sad to be discarded and forgotten when summer lovin’ arrives with a flair. (What, don’t you anthropomorphize your food?) So… I do what any real food lover worth her real sea salt would do – I get creative.
That golden, nourishing homemade broth (chicken, beef, fish, and even vegetable) can be incorporated regularly into your diet even when the thought of hot soup makes you melt into a puddle on the floor.
Now go forth and use these ideas, and may it go well with your soul. Chicken Soup for the Soul (90’s shoutout! Holla!) And with your guts. And by guts, I mean your literal gastrointestinal tract. (Over-explaining myself since the late 80’s. It’s my thang.)
Here are 25+ excellent ideas, for your broth-loving little heart. There are quick tips for everyday cooking, plus a selection of great recipes that feature bone broth as an ingredient.
Quick Tips & Tricks
- “I add gelatinous bone broth whenever I sauté veggies. It works as a steaming liquid and adds gelatin to veggies. I’ve also used it to make rice.” Dr. Karen S. Lee
- “I wake up to a big mug of hot bone broth.” Jar O Honey
- “I use bone broth instead of water when cooking rice, veggies, casseroles and quinoa. I also add it to mashed potatoes instead of milk.” The Herbal Spoon
- “Add a homemade broth gelatin cube to scrambled eggs.” Health, Home, and Happiness
- “I boil mine down for a reduction sauce, similar to this one. I often make this sauce for any meat even if I haven’t just roasted anything. Starting with broth only works great! We also just drink broth by the mug full with butter and salt. I use broth instead of water for cooking rice, often veggies, in risotto, as a replacement for water in spaghetti sauce or similar. Also in mashed potatoes or in my homemade queso dip in place of some of the milk or cream. Real Food Whole Health
- “I like to drink it for breakfast with salt and a raw free-range egg yolk (or two!) mixed in. It is creamy and yummy and keeps me full for hours.” Our Small Hours
- “Gravies and sauces.” We Got Real
Recipes That Feature Broth as an Ingredient
Nourishing Chicken Lo Mein (gluten/dairy/egg/msg free)– Simply Healthy Home (photo credit)
Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes– Simply Healthy Home
Chicken “Fried Rice” Quinoa (gluten free/thm)– Simply Healthy Home
Asian Chicken and Vegetables (gluten/dairy/egg/msg free)– Simply Healthy Home (photo credit)
Roasted Asparagus with Chicken Jelly Noodles– Farm Fresh Feasts
Chicken Enchiladas– My Cultured Palate
Mom’s Homemade Chicken Potpie– My Cultured Palate (photo credit)
Homemade Cornbread Stuffing– Recipes To Nourish
Sauteed Kale with Pasture Butter– Recipes To Nourish
Homemade Maple Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausages– Recipes To Nourish
Sloppy “Rose” Lettuce Wraps– Recipes To Nourish
Coconut Scallion Rice– A Happy Healthnut
Heavenly Rice With Cauliflower– Food Your Body Will Thank You For
Three Ingredient Pureed Cauliflower– The Organic Kitchen
For more, browse the Red & Honey recipe index, and check out these posts with the same theme:
10 Creative Ways to Add More Bone Broth to Your Diet– Intoxicated on Life
Two Easy Ways to Supercharge Your Food With Bone Broth– Naturally Loriel
Do you incorporate bone broth into your regular diet?
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- An Honest Review of Norwex Cleaning Supplies: Too Good to be True? - June 29, 2019
- Homemade Lemonade Sweetened with Honey (Paleo, Keto-Friendly) - June 21, 2019
- Best Gift Ideas for Dads (for Health-Conscious Men) - June 11, 2019