By contributor Jessica Young
Herbs are one of my favorites ways to help build up a healthy immune system. This immune boosting tincture will help kick the winter germs to the curb!
While there are many ways to keep your immune system healthy during the cold and flu season, I find even the healthiest immune system needs a little boost now and then.
When the body is bombarded with germs, your immune system fights to keep up. I like to help my family along with herbal tinctures when I know we have been exposed to germs or are just stressed or tired.
The holidays can be a major time for stress. It’s not always bad stress, but diet changes, travel and lack of sleep can tax a body.
Herbal tinctures are my key to aiding our bodies, and they’re super easy to make!
I find herbal and natural remedies are rock stars when it comes to preventive care. This means I like to use them before we are even sick just to help kick start the immune system.
I love using this combination because it will help fight germs, get your immune system working a bit better, and provide a bit of extra mineral and vitamins.
(And let’s face it, we can all use that!)
Immune boosting tincture can also be used during illness as it contains one of my favorites for colds and viral infections, elderberries. I also like to keep extra elderberry syrup on hand for when we are really sick to help get through an illness faster.
If you have never made a tincture before, no worries. It is one of the easiest herbal preparations to make, I promise.
You can’t mess it up. How awesome is that?
- 1 part dried elderberry
- 1 part dried echinacea
- 1 part dried astragalus
- ½ part dried nettles
- ½ part dried red raspberry
- ¼ part dried peppermint
- Vodka or rum (enough to cover your herbs)
- Mix all herbs in a bowl and pack into a glass jar
- Cover the herbs with alcohol
- Put lid on jar and shake
- The next day, check to see if you need to add more alcohol (some will be absorbed, add more if needed)
- Put lid back on and shake
- Let sit for two weeks, shaking jar on occasion
- When ready, put funnel in the extra jar and cover with cheese cloth
- Pour herb solution in the jar and allow the herbs to sit and drip
- Then squeeze the herbs to get all the liquid out
- Throw away the herbs
- Put the lid on your jar and label
2 jars with lids
wid mouth funnel
See? Totally easy and doable and you will have an awesome blend to get you through the cold and flu season.
This recipe can also be adjusted for the amounts you want or you may add other herbs. I love trying and blending new herbs to see what works best for my family.