I didn’t really want to write this post, to be honest. It’s such a plain and simple idea, and I’m sure it’s been done before, blah blah, etc. Also, heaven forbid I do anything cliche or trendy. (INFP problems, dudes. The struggle is so real.)
Well, I hemmed and hawed and read this brilliant bit of advice from Seth Godin, and decided to go for it, because you know what? I freaking loved this humble little centerpiece – it was simple, meaningful, and lovely.
I made it in about 5 minutes flat. I didn’t buy a single thing for it. It was free, easy, and so simple that even the non-craftiest of people could surely pull it off.
Here are your basic supplies:
- sticks or branches that aren’t too thick
- quart-sized(ish) jar or vase
- fall leaves (or small rocks)
- colourful construction paper (I chose to use fall colours – brown, yellow, red)
- scissors, scotch tape, and pens
I’m sure you can figure out where this is going. This is probably the most unsophisticated tutorial you’ve ever met.
- Arrange the sticks to stand up like tree branches, and stuff the jar with the dead leaves to help anchor the sticks and hold them up.
- Cut basic leaf shapes from the construction paper (doesn’t have to be fancy) and place them in the centre of the table around the jar with sticks.
- Add a couple of pens, and voila! You have a centerpiece.
During dinner, invite your guests to write what they are grateful for on the leaves, and tape them to the branches.
Bam – you’re a DIY queen. Just like that.
(And get ready for some amazingly cute answers from the little ones. One of my kids is supremely grateful for forks and knives and butter. Makes a lot of sense, actually.)
Happy thanksgiving, friends! Whether it be a the simplest of DIY centerpieces or the fanciest of Pinterest tutorials with a hundred complex steps – may you have a lovely time of remembering and giving thanks for all that you have.
Peace, love, and turkey dinner,
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Amazing Paleo Pizza Crust Recipe (Yeast Rise for Authentic Flavor) - August 20, 2019
- Easy 30-Minute Upcycled Baby Sweater Pants (By Hand or Machine) - August 6, 2019
- Ten-Minute Homemade Strawberry Jam (Honey-Sweetened) in the Instant Pot - August 1, 2019