Sweet & Sour Lentils Recipe
Give your grocery budget a break with this delicious sweet and sour lentils recipe packed with flavor and comfort!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Lentils Green or Brown
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 Onions Large
- 1/4 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar Can substitute apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 tsp Summer Savory This herb isn't easy to find in all areas. Try subbing oregano instead if necessary.
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce If you are GF, beware that some brands contain barley (gluten)
- 2-3 cloves Garlic Finely diced
Place broth, lentils, and bay leaves in a large pot and simmer on medium-high until broth is mostly gone and lentils are fully cooked. (15-20 minutes.)
While the lentils are cooking, dice the onions and sauté them in the butter until onions are translucent.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the lentil pot, along with the onions and butter.
Stir together and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Serve with your favorite sides. My suggestions: rice or spaghetti squash + roasted veggies or a green salad.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 598mg | Potassium: 857mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 540IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 5.8mg