Amazing Irish Beef Stew
Comfort food at its finest.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1/3 c. butter
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into chunks
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 c. homemade bone broth I used chicken broth because that's what I had on hand, but the logical choice would be beef broth
- 1/8 c. tomato paste
- 1-2 T. honey I didn't measure, I just took a large spoonful out of the honey bucket
- 1 T. dried thyme
- 1.5 T. worcestershire sauce I buy a gluten-free version at my local health store
- 2-3 bay leaves depending on their size
- 1/4 c. butter
- 5 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 2 small or 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1/4 c. rice flour or any other thickener and water
Melt 1/3 c. butter in a large stock pot. Brown stewing beef on all sides. Add garlic, saute for 2 minutes. Add half of your bone broth, along with honey, tomato paste, thyme, worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Simmer on low, mostly covered.
While the above is simmering, melt 1/4 c. butter in a frying pan (cast-iron is best if you have one), and saute onions, carrots, and potatoes for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the bone broth, and simmer for 20 minutes, until veggies are tender.
Add veggies concoction to the beef mixture. Stir together. Keep simmering.
In an air-tight container (a mason jar works well), shake rice flour and 1 c. water, until dissolved completely. Add to stew, stir, keep at a bubbling simmer until thickened, then turn off heat, and serve.
For cooking in the Instant Pot:
Use the IP's sauté function to brown the stewing beef on all sides (You don't need to cook it though, just sear it to seal in the juices).
Remove to a bowl, and sauté potatoes, carrots, and onions for five minutes.
Add meat back in, along with all other ingredients, minus the rice flour.
Set Instant Pot on manual for 25 minutes, and allow to release pressure naturally.
When you open the lid, press sauté button, add rice flour (pre-shaken into water to prevent lumps - I use a sealed mason jar) to stew, and simmer until stew is thickened.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 591kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 386mg | Potassium: 1071mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5845IU | Vitamin C: 21.2mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 7.4mg