Instant Pot Herbed Chicken Lunchmeat
This make-ahead option for lunchmeat is perfect for the family who wants the grab-and-go convenience without compromising on their whole foods standards on a regular basis. It's a staple in our house!
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 6-8 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- seasoning of your choice (my go-to's are listed below)
- 1/2 cup water
1. Place chicken breasts in your instant pot. Use your trivet if you're cooking a lesser amount, and they fit, otherwise it's fine without.2. Sprinkle generously with your favourite herbs and real sea salt.3. Set instant pot for 8 minutes (for fresh chicken), or 10 (for frozen).4. Allow for natural pressure release, and then let chicken cool for an hour. (It's much easier to slice when it's cool.)5. Slice chicken as thinly as you'd like, and lay it in a single layer on a baking sheet. Separate additional layers with parchment paper. 6. Freeze for 6 hours or overnight, then place chicken pieces into a large ziplock bag, and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Use in packed lunches, on top of salads, or whatever else you'd like!
- In case you're wondering why there's very little difference in cooking time between fresh and frozen, it's because the instant pot will take longer to come up to pressure (the period before your cooking timer kicks in) when using frozen food, and pretty much defrosts it during that time.
- I've been a long-time fan of Redmond seasoning salt, which is *amazing* on chicken. I also enjoy Herbamore, which I started using when we did the AIP Diet because it has no seed-based spices, which are a no-go in the elimination phase.
- Of course, feel free to use whatever seasoning you'd like for your lunchmeat. Saucy chicken recipes might be good here too - it totally depends on your family's preferences. We all like it fairly plain so that it's the most versatile.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 157mg | Potassium: 501mg | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.5mg