Beth’s (Comfort Food) Chili
Your Search for the Perfect Chili Recipe is Officially Over
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time3 hrs 30 mins
Total Time3 hrs 50 mins
- a blob of butter probably around a quarter cup or so – I don’t actually measure
- around 1 cup of diced sweet peppers red, yellow, and/or orange
- 2 medium onions diced
- 6 cloves of garlic – chopped into teeny bits I find the flavour better when I chop rather than using the garlic press
- 1.5-2 lbs ground beef I use 2, but might use less if I needed to be a bit more frugal
- 2-3 cans diced tomatoes the big fat cans
- 2-3 cups of cooked kidney beans or a couple of cans, if you don’t use dried
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- a few shakes of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 4 tablespoons chili powder or more to taste
Heat up your cast-iron pan to medium-low and throw your blob of butter into it. When it’s nice and sizzly go ahead and toss in your diced onions and peppers. Stir them around occasionally until the onions are translucent (that’s the clear one, right? I always get them mixed up) and the peppers are soft. Toss in the chopped up garlic and stir for another minute.
Add ground beef to pan and cook it until it’s browned and cozy with the onion party.
Meanwhile, get out your big stock pot and put in all the rest of the ingredients and get them simmering. Add the meat and onion mixture. It doesn’t actually really matter how it all comes together – just make sure the ingredients all get cozy and stay simmering for a while until they’re nicely melded. I like to simmer it all for a few hours before serving, if possible. It’s also even better as leftovers!
Serve with a salad on the side, and your choice of garnish. I love diced avocado, grated cheese, a blob of sour cream, and crumbled organic corn chips.
Adapt as you see fit, and make as much as your pot will hold. You’ll be fighting over the leftovers.
Come back and tell me if you loved it!
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1007mg | Potassium: 590mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1715IU | Vitamin C: 29.3mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 3.8mg