Quick & Nourishing Japanese Soup
The soup is versatile and you can add what you happen to have in your kitchen.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 2 quarts water
- 3 Small carrots
- 1 Large onion
- 2 cans whole sardines packed in brine, not vegetable oil. (250g)
- 1 wedge Chinese or crinkly cabbage approx. 200g.
- 1 Medium zucchini 300-400g.
- ½ cup soy sauce or slightly less tamari to taste
- 2 green onion for garnish
In a medium-sized pot, start water to boil.
Slice carrots on the diagonal and add to water.
Cut the onion in half, thinly slice half circles and add to pot.
Open the cans of sardines and break up with a fork, add to water.
Cut the cabbage into chunks, add to pot as well as any other add in.
Using a julienne peeler or other instrument, julienne the zucchini into noodles. The longer the noodles sit in the hot broth, the softer they will be.
Turn off the heat, add soy sauce or tamari.
When serving, make sure to scoop up from the bottom of the pot, otherwise all the sardine and bone goodness sinks and will be left at the bottom.
Serve and garnish with green onion. Slurp noodles for maximum enjoyment.
- Rice or vermicelli
- Sliced leftover meat
- Egg (gently crack a whole egg into the soup a minute or two before serving)
- Corn (organic)
- Other greens
- Bean sprouts
- Leftover grains (rice, quinoa, etc.)
Calories: 86kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 1726mg | Potassium: 538mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8170IU | Vitamin C: 19.1mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 2.4mg