Why don’t I do more creative projects with my kids?
I wish I did. Sometimes I wish I were that Pinterest-crafty mom (our weekly babysitter totally is, and it’s a wonder to behold) but somehow most days go by without cracking open the craft supplies even once.
Lots of colouring and drawing happen around here, but anything more complicated gets put off indefinitely, which I hate. I think there are a couple of reasons for that:
1. If you asked me to describe myself in one word, it would be “idealist”. I have big dreams, big plans, and terrible implementation. Pinterest is both my best friend and my nemesis. I even made a board called DIYs I Should Actually Do. Have I done them? Nope. Not yet, anyway (says the idealist).
2. Moms are busy people. This is a universal truth that’s often overlooked in the buzz of “good ideas”. With so many awesome projects and activities out there, how can we possibly decide which ones are worthy of the time that we do have to give?
While I’m sure we all wish our time was limitless, most of us have lots on our plates with mothering/wife-ing, running a household, and for many – working outside the home. Culling through ideas on Pinterest could be a full-time job!
3. Isn’t there enough mess already? I mean, life with three kids age six and under is certainly the opposite of prim, proper, and tidy. Like waaaaaaaay opposite. Most of the time, it’s near impossible to imagine willingly adding to the already-overwhelming messes.
Recently I had the privilege of trying out a Green Kid Crafts Discovery Box with my kids, and I’ve been ruminating on these things ever since.
We found it to be so easy, so effortless, and so much fun. It sort of caught me off guard with just how incredibly simple it was, and how stress-free the whole thing was from start to finish.
For me, it shed a bit of light on what we as parents really might need in order to invite our kids to creative projects without being engulfed in stress and mess. We need not worry about a crazy disaster or do hours of preparation and shopping for supplies (there’s always that one random ingredient that you have to search three stores for, right?!)
And how, exactly, do we do that?
By being prepared, by simplifying things, and by pacing yourself. They arrive with everything you need to conduct the experiments/do the craft/get your creative groove on… and have fun doing it.
The Green Kid Crafts boxes are my new secret weapon for those exact reasons! Here’s what they say:
Our Discovery Boxes for kids pack a lot of fun and learning into convenient packages. Developed by teachers, crafty moms and STEM experts (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) to support key developmental skills for kids ages 3-10, each Discovery Box celebrates creativity with craft projects and activates thinking, questioning, inquiring, and original creation as we guide children through fun science experiments.
Each box contains 3-4 Creativity and STEM Science Kits, extension activities, and a 20+ page themed Green Kid Activity Guide.
We got the Mad Scientist one, I was so incredibly impressed with this box. My kids, age 4 and 6 (the toddler was napping) were totally into it. They had a blast with the activities, and had huge grins on their faces the entire time. The activities were a cool lava lamp in a bottle, a magnetic demonstration, and making slime.
Um, guess which was their fave? Yeah, no real shocker – their eyes lit up like Christmas morning when they saw the slime-making instructions – ha! And would you believe it wasn’t really messy? The ingredients are already there and measured!
My husband actually did the hands-on part with them while I snapped a few photos, and he raved about how simple it was to do, but how thrilling it was for the kids. There’s even a guide included to talk through what is happening and what little tidbits they’re learning (which is all just part of the fun) as the activities play out.
I love that these are available as a monthly subscription. I think it’s one of the best ideas I’ve heard yet for non-cluttery, kid-pleasing gifts. I would order this for our family and for gifts to give in a heartbeat – we all loved it so much!
And now it’s time for an awesome GIVEAWAY!
One lucky winner will receive a $75.00 Gift Certificate, just in time for Christmas 🙂
Green Kid Crafts is generously offering a $75 gift certificate to their online shop. You could use it to pick out a few Discovery Boxes, or you could use it toward a monthly subscription so that a new box arrives in the mail every month!
Enter using the rafflecopter below!
Disclosure: This post was generously sponsored by Green Kid Crafts, but I only ever give 100% honest reviews. These thoughts and opinions are all mine, baby. Giveaway open to U.S. and Canada. Ends December 13, 2014.
I'm Beth. I created Red & Honey because I'm obsessed with the wild art of wellness.
Latest posts by Beth (see all)
- Natural Remedies for Pregnancy Heartburn (Including My Unexpected Favourite!) - September 8, 2017
- 19 Easy (Real Food) Instant Pot Recipes for Hesitant Beginners - July 26, 2017
- How to Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot - July 17, 2017